Friday, May 18, 2012

Tone

Tone- Is when you say something with feelings and emotions when reading the poem.

Example-


The Pasture
I'm going out to clean the pasture spring; (light, informing tone)
I'll only stop to rake the leaves away ("only" tone - reservation)
(And wait to watch the water clear, I may): (supplementary, possibility)
I sha'n't be gone long. -- You come too. (free tone, assuring) (after thought, inviting) "Rather well for me" --

I'm going out to fetch the little calf (Similar, free, persuasive, assuring
That's standing by the mother. It's so young, and inviting tones in second stanza)
It totters when she licks it with her tongue.
I sha'n't be gone long. -- You come too.

by Robert frost

Significance of the term- This is a really important part of poetry because when you have feelings when you read a poem the people listening will understand the poem and what it means. which makes it easier for people.

Picture-

No comments:

Post a Comment